Does Your Horse Cough?
Did you know....
Coughing could be a sign of Inflammatory Airway Disease (IAD) - which was recently found to be prevalent in 84% of horses*
How does it show itself?
Coughing is the obvious sign but there are other signs of IAD if he isn't coughing**:
• Nasal discharge
• Increased respiratory rate (which is difficult to spot!)
• Increased respiratory effort
• Flaring of the nostrils
• Respiratory noise (even at rest)
• Poor recovery
• Lower performance
Why does it matter?
IAD can be detrimental to the horse’s comfort and can hinder performance.
How can Haygain help?
Taking steps to minimise exposure to the airborne respirable dust will undoubtedly reduce the risk of IAD.
The dust in hay is a key cause of respiratory inflamation. Steaming hay with a Haygain hay steamer eliminiates respirable dust particles, killing mould, bacteria, fungal spores and mite faeces.
Reducing dust in the stall and ammonia off-gasing is also important. Haygain's ComfortStall sealed, orthopaedic flooring reduces bedding requirements by up to 75% and being sealed and hydrophobic, removes ammonia off-gassing caused by urine.
*Dr. Julie Dauvillier and Dr. Emmanuelle van Erck-Westergren, 2013, 2014
**David Marlin, Aug 2017
Why Not Soaking?
Soaking hay in water wets airborne particles to keep down dust, but there are a number of obvious disadvantages to this method:
- It is a physically arduous, cold, wet and messy task
- It uses 60-100 litres of water
- Soaking leaves live micro-organisms in the hay; these quickly multiply, particularly in warm, damp conditions, thereby compromising the hygienic quality of the forage
- Soaking hay reduces respirable particles but leaches nutrients out of the forage and, as with partial steaming, bacteria levels increase by two to five-fold. This produces poor quality, more contaminated forage which can raise the risk of enteritis and colic. High losses of WSC, protein and minerals occur when hay is soaked for as little as 10 minutes
- These nutrients in the waste water produce a post-soak liquid 9 times more polluting than raw sewage which must not be disposed of in storm drains.