Is your horse struggling to perform at its best?
There are a number of performance implications for respiratory disease. A report by equine physiologist Dr David Marlin lists some of the effects:
- Increased respiratory rate at rest
- Increased respiratory effort at rest
- Abnormal breathing during exercise
- Slow recovery after exercise
Respiratory disease can also lead to a lower quality of life:
- From continual nasal discharge
- Blood at the nostils
- Irregular breathing
- Increased temperature
Steaming hay with a Haygain hay steamer kills 99%* of the mould, fungi, yeast and bacteria in the hay which causes respiratory disease.
Nutrients are retained and palaltability is increased.
*European Workshop for Equine Nutrition, Cirencester, 2010
Other benefits of a Haygain hay steamer include:
- Kills mold, bacteria, fungal spores and mites
- Retains the nutritional value of the hay
- Improves the palatability of the hay
- Is suitable for laminitic, colic-prone and post-operative horses.
What people say
"We’ve been using the Haygain Steamer for just over a month and It’s made ours and the horses lives so much better. The coughs have disappeared and they are all so much healthier eating steamed (hay) and we’re not wasting so much as they love it!" Caroline W.
"I love my Haygain I have always said it is the one item on the yard that we just can't do with out in fact we have just bought our second" Rebecca B.
"Excellent - would recommend to anyone, I bought my steamer to tempt my fussy mare into eating the hay I had. It was perfectly edible, but was made a few summers ago, so didn't smell as tempting as it once did ... now she's eating two full slices of my older hay, steamed, and her stable is tidy." Tamsin R.